Categories
Health

Gastric Sleeve For Weight Loss: Here’s What You Need To Know

Gastric sleeve surgery is meant for weight loss for patients dealing with excessive fat or patients having a body mass index of more than 30. This is a type of bariatric surgery, and it helps patients lose fat rapidly. Gastric sleeve in Port Chester are gaining a lot of attention.

Procedure:

Gastric sleeve surgery is not invasive, and it is done with the help of a laparoscope. In this surgery, a narrow tube is inserted through several minor cuts in the abdomen. This tube has a microcamera and light attached, which guide the surgeon in performing the surgery. 

In this surgery, the surgeon removes 80% of the curved part of the stomach, and the remaining 20% of the stomach is stitched using staplers. In the end, the stomach is of banana shape and 25 percent to its actual size. 

This stomach becomes smaller so that person feels full and stops eating; this helps the patient consume fewer calories and lose weight rapidly.

In This surgery, along 80 percent of the stomach, an area that secretes ghrelin is also removed. Ghrelin is a hormone that induces hunger with its removal, due to which the patient does not feel as hungry.

This surgery is a couple of hours long, and the patient is sent for postoperative care. This period generally lasts until the doctors are confident enough that the patient would not face any postoperative complications.

Is a gastric sleeve ideal for you?

This surgery is generally meant for people with a BMI of more than 40 or highly overweight patients and has to reduce more than 80 pounds.

Patients having underlying problems such as diabetes or any heart conditions may not qualify for the procedure. The doctor is the one who determines whether the patient is fit for the surgery or not. 

This surgery is different from gastric bypass, as, in gastric bypass, a small pouch is created by the surgeon, which capers the stomach and enters the intestine directly. 

Once you have completed the surgery, you need to follow some rules strictly. These include:

  1. Avoid drinking while eating, as this causes the stomach to overfill.
  2. Chew the food thoroughly before swallowing.
  3. Drink water or any liquid thirty to sixty minutes after any meal.
  4. Avoid food high in calories.
  5. Take supplements (vitamins and minerals) every day. 
  6. After a few months, you can move to your regular meals, but you may not be able to consume the same amount of meals as earlier.

Leave a Reply