Erectile dysfunction is the inability to have or maintain a firm erection during intercourse. It is a common problem that most people are embarrassed to address. Unfortunately, erectile dysfunction can affect your self-confidence and may be a source of problems in your relationship, including marriage. While it is normal to experience erectile dysfunction once in a while, having it as an ongoing issue can be stressful and may be a sign of an underlying health problem. For this reason, medical attention is necessary to salvage the situation by addressing any underlying issues, including diabetes and heart disease. Thanks to urology in Kingston, patients with erectile dysfunction have different treatment options based on their preference, causes, and severity of the condition.
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
Sexual arousal in males is complex as a massive part involves the brain, hormones, nerves, blood vessels, muscles, and emotions. The problem in one or more of the listed things can result in erectile dysfunction. Poor mental health or disorders such as anxiety, depression, and stress can worsen an existing condition. However, the causes of this condition are not limited to psychological problems, as physical conditions may result in stress or anxiety and a ripple effect of slowed sexual response. The following are some of the non-mental causes for impotence.
· High blood pressure
· High cholesterol
· Sleep disorders
· Tobacco use
· Heart disease
· Low testosterone
What Does Diagnosis for Erectile Dysfunction Entail?
In most cases, diagnosis for erectile dysfunction involves answering several questions from the doctor and a review of your medical history. Expect a physical exam as well during diagnosis. However, your doctor may recommend other tests if you have chronic health problems or are exhibiting signs and symptoms of an underlying condition. These tests include:
· Blood tests- Your blood sample can be sent to the lab to check for conditions such as diabetes, low testosterone levels, and heart disease.
· A physical exam- Includes a close examination of your penis and testicles and confirming nerve functioning.
· Ultrasound- An imaging test that a specialist uses to check how well your blood vessels transport blood to the penis. Other times, the doctor uses an ultrasound to guide while injecting medications into the penis to stimulate blood flow.
· Urinalysis- Similar to blood tests, this one uses urine to test for underlying health problems such as diabetes.
· Psychological examination- Since erectile dysfunction is linked to mental causes like stress, you may require to answer some questions from your specialist. A psychological exam established whether.
How Is Erectile Dysfunction Treated?
As part of treatment for ED, your doctor will first address any underlying condition you may have based on your diagnostic results. Your doctor may recommend several treatment options depending on the cause and severity of your disease. Other factors that dictate your treatment options include underlying problems and your partner’s preference. The different treatment options include:
· Oral medication that enhances nitric oxide’s effects and causes an erection includes Avanafil, Tadalafil, Sildenafil, and Vardenafil.
· Alprostadil self-injection.
· Alprostadil urethral suppository.
· Testosterone replacement.
· Penis pumps.
· Penile implants.
· Psychological counseling.
Your sexual life plays an essential role in the well-being of your relationship. Book a session with your doctor at Premier Medical Group to treat erectile dysfunction, boost your confidence, and improve your sexual experiences.