The integrity of your smile depends on the health of your gums and teeth. Gum disease affects more than sixty million American adults in various ways. At Perfect Smiles Dentistry, Kavitha Gowda, DDS is helping men and women achieve healthier gums. She leads in the treatment of gum disease in Everett by helping patients develop healthier hygiene habits.
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease/periodontal disease refers to a bacterial infection of your gums and tissues surrounding the teeth. Gum disease can be a result of tartar and plaque building up around your gum line. Dr. Gowda recommends regular flossing and brushing to stop the build up of tartar and plaque.
The common types of gum disease include:
It is a mild infection that affects gums, causing tenderness, puffing, swelling, and other unpleasant symptoms. Luckily, Perfect Smiles Dentistry offers quality treatment that could help you eliminate gingivitis.
If left untreated, gingivitis develops into periodontitis. The condition develops as the bacteria responsible for your infection touches tissue pockets where bone and tissues support your teeth. Long term effects include the loss of several teeth due to complications.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
When suffering from gum disease, you may experience symptoms such as:
- Receding gums
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Persistent bad breath
- Pus between gums and teeth
- Bleeding gums when brushing or flossing
- Previous dental work may cease to fit perfectly
- Gum redness, swelling, puffiness, and tenderness
If you are experiencing these symptoms highlighted above, you should seek immediate assistance by calling Perfect Smiles Dentistry.
Treatment for Gum Disease
Your provider at Perfect Smiles Dentistry engages you in the development of personalized periodontal treatment. Your treatment could entail surgical or non-surgical treatment, or both. For the best results, treatment is based on your unique goals and dental needs.
Dr. Gowda evaluates your teeth and gums to determine the way forward. Based on the results, your doctor could recommend professional cleanings and surgery to clean out regions around the teeth through flap surgery/periodontal pocket reduction. The process helps reattach gum tissue to the healthy bone to maintain the integrity of your smile.
After your treatment is completed, Dr. Gowda takes time to develop and maintain healthy oral hygiene habits. You are guided on how to improve flossing and brushing techniques. Through the relevant guidance, you can lead a healthier lifestyle and maintain your gums, teeth, and smile.
Other Services Offered at Perfect Smiles Dentistry
Services offered at the practice include:
- General Dentistry Services – General dentistry services include digital x-rays, family dentistry, oral exams, teeth cleaning, dental fillings, crowns, and bridges.
- Cosmetic Dentistry Services – Perfect Smiles Dentistry offers veneers, bonding, and teeth whitening services.
- Specialty Dentistry – Special dentistry services include endodontics, full mouth reconstruction, metal-free dentistry, sports mouth guards, root canal, oral cancer screening, teeth grinding/night guards, IV sedation, bone grafting, and sinus lifts. You can also get wedding smile makeovers, TMJ and TMD treatment, pediatric dentistry, Invisalign, dental implants, dentures, sleep apnea services, wisdom tooth removal, and gum disease treatment.
Gum disease is painful and could lead to a series of health complications. To learn about the prevention, management, and elimination of gum disease, call the Perfect Smiles Dentistry or book an appointment online.