Going into the labour is a mixed feeling- it’s a mixed bag of excitement and anxiety. It is finally that time of life when the wait for long nine months would come to an end. Now if you have a date fixed for your C-section, you know when it’s exactly to pack your bags and take an admission to the hospital. But if you haven’t fixed a date yet, it’s safe to keep a bag handy with the essentials inside.
Now what are the essentials that new mom cannot live without? Definitely not the cosy comfort of her bedroom because there’s no way you are getting it. The hospital authority is there to take care of your comfort. So now let’s take a fast look on the checklist comprising essentials you should be carrying in your hospital bag-
- Are you an avid reader? Then please take a a couple of books for entertainment that will keep your mood light before and after labour.
- Never, ever, forget to put in paper and documents in the hospital bag for giving birth. Those would speak for you, your health, your admission, and appointments. Make sure it contains all your medical documents, ID proof, insurance documents, and hospital forms.
- Take your medicines in the bag. Before or after the labour, you should always take your medicines on time.
- Underwear, toiletries, and sanitary napkins are a must in your hospital bag. If you favour to use a certain brand of toothpaste, soap and sanitary pads, it is preferred to load your bag as many as you can. Pack towels, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, and hairbrush. Because no matter if you are giving birth with or without C- section, you will be staying in the hospital for at least 5-6 days. So pack accordingly. Carry extra pairs of old, cheap and cotton underwear during your stay in the hospital post-delivery.
- Take comfortable slip-ons as they are the easiest to get in and out of. You can also carry socks in case you think you would feel cold in the air conditioning.
- Most mothers forget their glasses and lenses on their way to the hospital. Those which are so essential in regular life, excitement of labour often make it forget. To avoid situations like this, buy an extra pair of glasses and keep them in your bag beforehand.
- In your hospital bag for mom and newborn, do not forget to add a pair of comfortable trousers and t-shirts to be used when you come back home with the baby. Also, the baby’s napkins, clothes, bibs are equally essential.
- Put a couple of headbands and hair clips in your maternity bags. Use it in the hospital to tie your hair tight and concentrate on the baby. The baby has just arrived, you are sick and in pain, you need to learn how to breastfeed and your hair can really disturb it all. Keeping these hair accessories handy will help you stay tidy and less messy.
Now that you have known the essentials that should be inside your hospital bag, pack your bag for the big day. It’s always a good idea to pack the bags when you are on your 36th– 38th week of pregnancy.