Every person has come across some type of pain due to injuries and damage to tissues. Lower back pain is one of the disorders that affect many people in the world. According to health institutions, chronic back pain is a disease that can affect both males and females. This complication affects tissues and nerves in your spinal cord. Old peoples at the age of fifty-five and above are known to suffer chronic lower back pain more than young people. It is essential to seek treatment for the disorder at its initial stages before it gets worse. Visit board certified pain management physician in Arlington, VA for treatment and the management of chronic lower back pain. Below are the major causes of lower back pain.
Causes of lower back pain
There are many causes of lower back pain. For old people, you can suffer chronic back pain due to wear and tear of tissue between your spinal discs. Injuries, diseases, and some medication may promote the occurrence of lower back pain. The main causes include:
- Spondylolisthesis. This is a condition that is caused by wear and tear of the soft spinal tissues. The spinal discs may move out of their position, causing pressure to the nerves and tissue.
- Spinal stenosis.When spinal spaces narrow down around your spinal cord, it may cause pressure to the nerves. Narrowing of the spinal space is caused by bone spurs, which have emerged due to osteoarthritis.
- Spinal disc tear. Disc tear occurs due to over-rotating your spinal cord.
- Heredity. If your closest family members have a history of lower back pain, you have a high chance of inheriting the disorder. This happens due to gene inheritance.
- Overweight and obesity. Having a heavy body causes pressure to the nerves and tissues in the spinal cord. Spinal stress causes back pain
- Working environment. Sitting for a very long time may cause stress to nerves and tissues, leading to inflammation and pain. It is recommended to keep on changing the sitting position after a while.
- Diseases. Diabetes is a common disorder known to cause lower back pain. Due to the higher sugar level in your body, nerves and tissue may lose their strength, thus getting damaged easily. Damaged tissues and nerves result in back pain.
It is important to protect yourself from injuries or factors that can damage your spinal cord to avoid chronic lower back pain. Below are ways to prevent and ease back pain.
The major ways you can prevent or alleviate lower back pain
Protecting yourself from getting back pain is the most important thing. Since you can inherit chronic back pain, you can also manage it. Quitting smoking may help alleviate the severity of your back pain. Doing a lot of exercises keeps your muscles, tissues, and nerves in a healthy position. A fit body is also free from getting diseases like diabetes that damages your tissues and nerves.
Chronic lower back pain is a disorder common to many people. Lower back pain typically occurs due to damages or injuries on your spinal cord. Factors like diseases, working environments, and wear and tear of spinal tissues promote the occurrences of chronic lower back pain. For more information about treatment and management of lower back pain, consult Interventional Pain and Regenerative Medicine Specialists.